It happens once a year: School’s out for the summer and you’re racking your brain for ways to keep your kids healthy and active. This year, why not start a healthy family tradition? On June 9, the international community unites to celebrate Global Wellness Day. With a special emphasis on kids’ health, the annual event advocates that wellness should begin in childhood – a philosophy that we’re on board with.
At the Eminence Kids Foundation, a cornerstone of our mission is to educate children and their families about the value of organic nutrition. It is our hope that the healthy habits kids learn today will continue to benefit them in years to come. This summer, celebrate Global Wellness Day with a healthy and nutritious family picnic. To help you get started, here are five healthy snacks your kids will love.
Eminence Kids’ Very Berry Smoothie
- ½ cup organic blueberries
- ½ sliced organic banana
- ½ cup sliced organic strawberries
- ½ cup organic apple juice
- Ice (optional)
- ¼ cup sliced organic pineapple (optional)
- Add banana, blueberries, strawberry, apple and optional ice and/or pineapple to blender. Liquify until smooth.
- To make liquid thicker, add more ice. To make it thinner or sweeter, add more juice.
- To serve, pour into a glass with a paper straw.
Fruit & Cheese Skewers
- Organic cheese
- Your kids’ favorite fruit. We recommend organic seedless strawberries, grapes, apples and/or bananas!
- 4 oz. organic greek yogurt
- Organic honey
- Cut cheese into cubes.
- Alternate cheese and fruit on skewers.
- Drizzle honey over yogurt and serve as dip.
Adapted from My Baking Addiction
Blueberry Soy Popsicles
- 1 cup organic blueberries
- 300g non-GMO organic soft tofu
- ¼ cup organic maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Small handful of organic blueberries
- 4 oz. popsicle molds
- Set aside a small handful of blueberries for the last step of the recipe.
- Blend blueberries, tofu, maple syrup and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Stir the handful of blueberries you set aside into the mixture.
- Pour mixture into popsicle molds.
- Insert popsicle sticks and freeze for at least 4 hours.
From Eminence Organics
Popcorn Snack Mix
- 1 package organic popcorn
- Organic extra virgin olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons grated organic parmesan cheese
- 2 cups organic pretzels
- 1 ½ cups organic raw almonds
- 1 ½ cups organic banana chips
- 1 cup mixed organic dried fruit
- Pop popcorn according to package directions.
- Pour into a large bowl and coat lightly with oil.
- Sprinkle popcorn with parmesan cheese and toss gently to coat.
- Stir in pretzels, almonds, banana chips and dried fruit.
Adapted from Parents magazine
Veggie Dip Cups
- 1 cup organic greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp. organic sour cream
- 1 organic garlic clove, minced
- 1-2 tbsp. finely chopped organic dill
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped organic parsley
- 1 tbsp. organic honey
- 1-2 tbsp. organic lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- Organic veggie sticks: cucumber, carrots, celery, bell peppers
- Combine yogurt, sour cream, garlic, dill, parsley, honey, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Divide dip into 8 mini cups.
- Add veggie sticks to each cup and serve.
Adapted from CBC
Healthy snacks are an essential part of a well-balanced lifestyle. What are your top healthy snacks for kids? Do you have any favorite recipes? Share them with us in the comments – and tell us how you’re incorporating them into your plans for Global Wellness Day!